Dorman Long operates three manufacturing sites in the Lagos area; Idi-Oro, Naval Dockyard and Agege. The facilities on each are very different with their own specialities.
Idi – Oro and the Naval Dockyard sites work independently and in tandem. Generally, the largest fabrications are assembled at the Naval Dockyard with its deep sea quay facilitating transport by barge for items too large to be moved by road. The component parts of these assemblies may have been manufactured on the specialist equipment at Idi-Oro.
Agege operates independently, galvanising for both Dorman Long Engineering and for third parties.
Agege is the location of Dorman Long Protective Coatings which owns the only large scale engineering quality hot dip galvanising facility in Nigeria due to open in Q3 2009.
It was designed very much with the demands and specifications of the oil and gas industry in mind who participated in its conception. As a result we now have one of the larger state of the art plants in the world with an initial capacity of 50,000mt/an. Doubling of this capacity is now in the planning stages.
Total covered area of 8,500m2 with further open area of 15,000m2
The kettle is 14m long by 1.5m wide by 2.4m deep holding 350mt zinc and can handle virtually any section likely to require galvanising in the region. Longer lengths can be processed using a double dip process.
The kettle is fully enclosed allowing all fumes to be extracted and cleansed to the most stringent standards.
A 4 dual fuel burner furnace.
Hot degrease tank with provision for alkaline and acidic degreasing.
6 pickling tanks
4 two stage rinse tanks.
Hot flux tank using a twin salt flux
Twin Station enclosed dryer
Quench tanks with post polymer based deoxidant supercoat to arrest white rust formation
Grit blasting facilities for heavily rusted steel
Cyclone scrubber to clean the galvanising fumes down to 5mg/m3 which is 50% lower than the European Union standard which itself is the strictest in the world. Thus the Dorman Long facility is very clean.
Full neutralisation facilities to treat spent acid and caustic soda
The site will shortly open a fully automated manufacturing facility for standard products such as transmission towers, gratings, hand rails and highway guard rails which all require galvanising.
- 7,500m2 covered area, 15,000m2 open area
- Rolling machine for 120mm x 3m wide plate
- Rolling machine for 50mm x 3m wide plate
- Rolling machine for 1 – 12mm x 3m wide plate.
- Post Weld Heat Treatment Furnace 14.5m long x 5m wide x 6m high for stress relieving
- Major welding facilities including SMAW, SAW, TIG, MIG/FCAW., gouging.
- Plasma cutting
- Large general workshop facilities with drilling, punching, band saws, lathes etc.
- Grit Blasting
- Airless spray painting
- Quality control facilities including film thickness, X-ray, Isotope, magnetic particle, ultrasonic and dye penetrant testing.
- Full cranage throughout with a maximum of 60mT plus mobile units
- The current facilities are in the process of being upgraded with the addition of pipe profile cutting machines, CNC plate cutter, plate milling machines and pipe sub-arc welding machines.
- 2,500m2 covered area, 10,0002 open area with a deep sea quay for loading very heavy or large structures on barges for marine transportation
- All equipment as at Idi-Oro except rolling, heat treatment plus a 80mT mobile crane